AUTUMN
DECEMBER 2012

January 14, 2011

ONE- LEGGED HEN


Not really! She (our Black Australop hen) is just resting with her leg tucked up underneath. She's conserving heat.

"Birds’ legs have an adaptation called “rete mirabile”  that minimizes heat loss. The arteries that transport warm blood into the legs lie in contact with the veins that return colder blood to the bird’s heart. The arteries warm the veins. By standing on one leg, a bird reduces by half the amount of heat lost through unfeathered limbs.
from bird note

  happy day!



7 comments:

Kit said...

She looks so lovely! I just love chickens. And especially ones in my favorite colors! Kit

Phyllis said...

I have always known that chickens do this because my parents had them when I was a child, but I never knew that there was a name for it!

Kit said...

Marcia, I nominated you for an award! Your blog is so much fun! Kit

marcia said...

Thank you Kit! I am honored.
happy day!

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Beautiful colour on your chicken!

Melissa said...

Hope you are having a great weekend! I am gathering my "bird haven" materials this weekend!

oldgreymare said...

Or they are posing as weathervane models? lol

xx
z