AUTUMN
DECEMBER 2012

June 25, 2010

A KINDRED SPIRIT


Have you ever met someone online and knew within minutes that you had found a kindred spirit?  

I felt like I knew her already from reading and collecting her books for years, and more recently, connecting through the internet via our blogs and emails. 

I'm talking about Sharon Lovejoy, author, illustrator, lecturer, and teachera joyful and inspiring person who is passionate about gardening, nature and children, and who shares my passion with connecting people, especially children, to the natural world around us.

  Her newest book is glorious and has 130 terrific activities to do with children, or even just for yourself!


 The last stop on her five week spring Book Tour was held at beautiful Highfield Hall in Falmouth, MA .



The Toad Cottages and Shooting Stars Workshop was less than an hour from my house, which enabled me to go hug my kindred spirit in person and meet her wonderful husband, Jeff. My daughter came and was excited to meet Sharon too, and friend Deb and her daughter joined us there. 




Sharon's words and slideshow reinforced everything I felt in my heart about children and nature. I was also inspired by even more fun activities to do with children.


The most important thing is to DO! Be involved yourself and the children will join in and learn by example and have fun.

It's not about *teaching* but more about making the TIME . . .  to be TOGETHER . . . and EXPERIENCING first hand the joy and wonder of our natural world and all it has to offer us.


Sharon, and her blog, her books, and most of all, her friendship have inspired and enriched my life. Thank you Sharon.








4 comments:

Cheryl said...

How lovely to meet up with like minded people.

TwigandToadstool said...

I love her books!!! I'm going to have to check out her newest one!!
It must have been an exciting afternoon!
xo maureen

oldgreymare said...

Marcia,

i'll have to check her out! Thanks

Suzan

Lise said...

This looks like such a fun day! I get all giddy meeting favorite authors.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have the kids all day (7:30-4:30), 5 days a week--which is a bit too much. I'm hoping that by next year I can afford to go down to 4 days a week. But I do like a good long day for how deeply involved we can get into things.

How about you? Your kids are older, right? Are they all homeschoolers? I'm thinking ahead to what my program might become when my own kids are older.